CPCRI Research Centre and International Coconut Gene Bank for South Asia, KIDU
Scientist In charge: Sh. Khadke Ganesh Navanath
This centre was established under Central Plantation Crops Research Institute (CPCRI) in the year 1972 at Kidu with an aim to produce genetically superior planting materials of coconut, arecanut, cocoa and cashew. The centre was started as seed farm and later upgraded to Research Centre in 2001. The centre began functioning with its office at Subramanya in 1972 with 60 ha of clear fell forest land acquired on lease from Government of Karnataka. Subsequently the office was shifted to the farm at Kidu and formally inaugurated in 1973.In the same Year the farm was expanded with the addition of another 60 ha. International Coconut Gene Bank for South Asia under Coconut Genetic Resource Network (COGENT) was established at this centre in the year 1998. This centre is now renamed as CPCRI Research Centre and International Coconut Gene Bank for South Asia.
This centre is located in the Kidu Reserve Forest, Bilinele Village, Puttur Taluk, Dakshina Kannada District of Karnataka State. The centre is located 9 Km from Subramanya, on Subramanya- Uppinangadi road that connects NH-48 at Uppinangadi and the temple town Subramanya. It is 97 and 105 km away from Mangalore and Kasaragod, respectively.
The centre lies at latitude of 12.300 N and longitude of 75.200 E. Its altitude is 291.0m above the MSL. The average maximum temperature is 400C in summer and 330C in winter while the average minimum temperature is 240 C in summer and 180C in winter. The annual rainfall varies between 2800 mm and 4200 mm.
The soil is red laterite/ sandy laterite with high organic matter content.
The centre has an area of 120 ha. Coconut is cultivated in 95 ha, arecanut in 7.5 ha and cocoa in 2.5 ha. An additional area to the extent of 500 ha adjoining to the farm is proposed to be acquired from the Forest Department Karnataka State for extending International Coconut Gene Bank for South Asia under COGENT of IPGRI.
- To produce parental materials and breeders stock in coconut, arecanut and cocoa.
- To generate genetically superior planting materials of released varieties and promising cultivars of coconut, arecanut and cocoa.
- To produce and supply released hybrids of T x D and D x T combinations in coconut.
- To establish compact blocks of released and promising cultivars of coconut and arecanut.
- To establish clonal orchards of cocoa for hybrid seed production.
- To establish International Coconut Gene Bank for South Asia under COGENT of IPGRI.
- To conduct research on coconut, arecanut and cocoa.